StarPedia - Nigeria
The Millenium Park
The Millennium Park is the largest public park of Abuja, the capital of Nigeria and is located in the Maitama district of the city.
The Millennium Park was inaugurated by Queen Elizabeth II on 4 December 2003. It is near the former Presidential Palace close to the nucleus of presidential and administrative buildings of the city.
A river crosses the Park in its main rectilinear axis, dividing it into two parts.
One side on the Park is dedicated to uncontaminated nature. In a system of terraces at different levels are located Nigeria's mountain vegetation, savanna, deciduous forest, rainforest and brushwood as well as greenhouses for butterflies and tropical birds.
The other side, corresponding to the main entrance from road, is dedicated to the scientific knowledge of the natural environment. This part of the Park has a very traditional and rigid Italian Style Garden Layout. Entering the Park, a rectilinear path completely paved with Roman white travertine brings the public into its green areas. A series of fountains run alongside this white mark refreshing the public during the hottest days. This path visually links the enormous Cotton Tree, a holy tree of Abuja situated on one side of the Millennium Park, with the Aso Rock, the holy Rock of Abuja. The path layout is based on a trident geometry separated by huge polygonal pools. The roads are crossed by a series of multicoloured bushes going from yellow to red with a very particular wave-like course.
This Park, conceived and designed by the Italian architect Manfredi Nicoletti, has quickly become one of the main attractions of the city of Abuja bringing thousands of people together each day.
During the Millennium Park opening ceremony, each Commonwealth Head of State has planted symbolically a Ravenala madagascariensis palm giving birth to the Park. Among others were present the President of Nigeria Olusegun Obasanjo, UK prime Minister Tony Blair and Queen Elizabeth II.
This story and others are brought by KleverSix Click the logo for the Twitter profile
The Ancient Kano Wall
The Ancient Kano City Walls were built as a defensive wall with the construction of the foundation laid by Sarki Gijimasu (1095–1134), the third king of the Kingdom of Kano in the Kano Chronicle. In the mid 14th century during the reign of Zamnagawa, the wall was completed before it was further expanded during the 16th century.
According to historians, the then General-Governor of the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria, Fredrick Lugard, wrote in a 1903 report about the Kano Walls that he had “never seen anything like it in Africa” after capturing the ancient city of Kano along with British forces.
The Ancient Kano City Walls are made up of Dala Hill where it was founded, Kurmi Market and the Emir’s Palace.
The Ancient Kano City Walls originally had an estimated height of 30 to 50 ft and about 40 ft thick at the base with 15 gates around it
The Giant Footprints of Ukhuse-oke
The Giant Footprints of Ukhuse-oke in Owan-West L.G.A: - The very distinct footprints of a prehistoric giant are permanently embedded on the flat granite rocks in a sacred grove between Ukhuse-oke and Ukhuse-osi in lulehe clan of Owan west local government area. Some believe the footprints were created when the world was still molten.
Owan are a Nigerian ethnic group who live in the northern part of Edo State. Owan is currently divided into two LGAs, Owan East and Owan West, and is home to numerous clans, the most notable of which are: Ihievbe, Emai people, Iuleha land, Ora, Igue, Uokha, Otuo, and others.
A large number of tourists from all over the world come here to see these magnificent relics, which presents a challenge for archaeologists and anthropologists.